We are very sad to record the death of Hampshire Mills
who died in
Anne and her husband Geoffrey, bought Pilcot Mill and
the mill house in 1989. They became well known in the group,
occasionally hosting meetings in the earlier
years of HMG, so many will remember the lovely garden and idyllic setting of
the mill, as well as Anne’s infectious personality.
Sadly, Geoffrey died in April 2003 having survived many years as one
of the pioneer heart transplant patients at Harefield Hospital.
Children, Peter and
Julia, along with numerous
grandchildren and other relatives, friends and villagers, remembered with
great pleasure Anne’s idiosyncratic habits and the delight she took in her
mill ownership, at the funeral service held on Friday, 15th May at All Saints Church,
Dogmersfield. HMG members, Tony
Yoward, Sheila Viner, Ros and David Plunkett
attended the service.
Donations were collected for the Royal Brampton & Harefield Charitable Fund;
should you wish to contribute please send
to: Royal Brampton &
Harefield Charitable Fund,
c/o Goddard Limited, Kent Road,
Fleet, Hampshire. GU13 9AH.
Tony and Mary Yoward
probably knew Anne better than most as they were good friends and frequent
visitors to Pilcot Mill. More recently, Ros and David visited Anne on many
occasions, sharing Anne’s passion for plants as well as Pilcot Mill.
The future of Pilcot mill
is currently undecided. It is understood that the family would love to keep
the mill where they too have many happy memories but there are issues that
need to be resolved before a final decision can be made.
We all hope that Anne’s family will remain in contact with HMG and we
send them, not only our condolences, but also our assurance that Anne will
not be forgotten.
MAP REFERENCE 186 SU 786 528 MILL REF
The mill is situated down a lane to the SW
of Pilcot Bridge Tributary of the River Hart.
Mill stands down lane south side of village.
2.5 f E of Church Large wheel in
The mill mentioned under the Domesday Survey may very possibly have stood
property later known as Pilcot for a water mill is known to have existed
there in the C15th,
C16th & C17th.
Ceased working circa 1928, before which it
had been used as a bean mill,
Said to stand on site of a Roman mill. C.A.
1759 "Pilcot Mill" on map of
be sold by auction at the George Inn, Odiham on 5 Feb. A freehold Water Corn
Mill situated in the parish of Dogmersfield, Hants called Pilcot Mill, with the
dwelling house, yard, garden, stable etc., now in the occupation of Peter
(Reading Mercury 21 Jan 1788) (S)
1800 named "Green Mill" on
Arrowsmith's map. (S)
1816 "Mill" at Pilcot on OS map
"Pilcot Mill" marked on Greenwood's map
Frederick EGGAR, miller, Pilcot Mill.
John T A HOWKINS, miller, Dogmersfield
SHIRWELL, miller, Pilcot Mill
George WRIGHT jnr., miller,
1932 marked "Pilcot Mill
disused" on 25” O.S. map1939
Painting of Pilcot Mill by local artist Brigadier J P Duke on display at Fleet
Arts Society exhibition. Six paintings of
Pilcot Mill by other artists also on display. (newspaper cutting 1966)
Small two storey mill, timber framed with brick infilling, weatherboard upper,
tiled roof. Waterwheel outside the
building is still in place. No access. (Gazetteer
Water, Wind & Tide Mills Hants..-C Mellis)
This small three storey mill is separate from the mill house. It is timber
framed with brick infill and the upper storey is weather boarded.
The tiled roof is half hipped.
External iron Poncelet waterwheel still in place but is deteriorating.
Outside the mill at one end is the base of an engine.
The stream which powered the wheel floods easily and has two by-pass
channels adjacent to the wheel pit. The
pit wheel and all the machinery are still in the mill, including two pairs of
stones, one of which is a French Burr. The pulleys for an internal hoist as well
as the grain bins and chutes are intact.
The mill is a listed building. The timber
framed mill house is also listed.
(Water & Windmills in Hants & IOW...C M
1980 Mill owned by Miss A
CLUTTON. Mill Wheel, iron with buckets.
1989 Restoration of mill well underway.
Mill owned by Anne & Geoff FINNIGAN (J.S)
SMV for HMG Newsletter