Hampshire Mills Group
HOME
Up
MILLS BOOK
LIBRARY
LISTED MILLS
MILL HISTORY
HMG ACTIVITY
NEWSLETTERS
SNIPPETS
CONTACT
LINKS

 

 

Longbridge Mill

The earliest references to John the Miller and a mill on this site date back to 1274.

By 1316 there was a mention of a watermill at Sherfield on Loddon.

Two watermills and a fulling mill, with a fourth mill passed to the Manor in 1601.


In 1819 there is a record indicating Longbridge Mill was to let.  It comprised a Capital corn mill with 2 water wheels, four pairs of stones and machinery capable of grinding 30-40 loads of wheat a week.

A similar notice in 1840 saying there were four pairs of stones and the machinery was nearly new.

By 1946 it was grinding animal feedstuffs only and by 1950 the water wheel was no longer in use.

Milling finally ceased (until the restoration) in 1977.
 

Longbridge Mill was destroyed by fire in 1991
Restoration was started, completing in 1997
The mill stones after the fire
Now restored they are used for regular flour milling

 

These photos are by Basil Hunt


MILLING DAYS On milling days, flour is milled between 12 noon and 4 pm. Milling usually takes place on the fourth Saturday of each month, free.

Open daily 11am to 11pm (static exhibition), free.  Ask staff for access

Wholemeal flour for sale at anytime in the adjacent Restaurant.

Longbridge Mill,
Sherfield on Loddon,
Hook,
Hampshire, RG27 0DL

Off the A33 between Basingstoke and Reading, 8km (5 miles) north of Basingstoke.

tel 01256 883483

O.S. 186 ref. 683 584
 


HOME ] Up ] MILLS BOOK ] LIBRARY ] LISTED MILLS ] MILL HISTORY ] HMG ACTIVITY ] NEWSLETTERS ] SNIPPETS ] CONTACT ] LINKS ]

horizontal rule

Copyright 2014 Hampshire Mills Group
Registered as a Charity - 1116607