Hampshire Mills Group
HOME
Up
MILLS BOOK
MILLS OPEN
LIBRARY
LISTED MILLS
MILL HISTORY
HMG ACTIVITY
NEWSLETTERS
SNIPPETS
MILLS OVERSEAS
CONTACT
LINKS

 

 

Back Up Next

Page 7

Newsletter 105, Summer 2014  © Hampshire Mills Group

Illustrated Flour Mill Billheads - continued - Nigel Harris
 

This article first appeared in the January 2014 edition of the SPAB Mill News

In the previous Newsletter, Nigel said “An interesting collectable of milling history is the illustrated company stationery of flour mills, and in particular billheads.  Billheads were commonly used on receipts in business transactions from late 1860’s onwards. Many were illustrated and decorated with fancy steel engravings”. More examples from his collections are shown here

 

Walmsley & Smith Flour Mills

The mills were located beside Devonshire Dock at Barrow-in-Furness, but they were demolished some years ago. Note the circular grain silos and also the submarine in the foreground. This billhead is dated 1932

 

 

 

Monks Mill

The firm of E.H. Monks of Wallgate were located in Chapel Lane, Wigan. They were grocers, corn millers and merchants.

 

 

 

 

Leith Flour Mills

Located in Commercial Street, Edinburgh. The original mills were burnt down in 1874 and rebuilt. In 1882 roller mills were installed.

 

 

 

Oxted Mills

Actually two mill buildings, the older dating to the mid 19th century and the newer roller mill started milling in 1893. When flour milling ceased in 1951 both mills were sold to a car accessories firm.

 

 

 

Back Up Next


HOME ] Up ] MILLS BOOK ] MILLS OPEN ] LIBRARY ] LISTED MILLS ] MILL HISTORY ] HMG ACTIVITY ] NEWSLETTERS ] SNIPPETS ] MILLS OVERSEAS ] CONTACT ] LINKS ]

horizontal rule

Copyright © 2017 Hampshire Mills Group
Registered as a Charity - 1116607