In 1086 the Domesday survey
records a mill on the site paying a rent of 48/-
(£2.40) per annum to the Abbess – well above the
average mill rent in southern England. During
this period the mill became known as Eastgate Mill.
A period of prosperity ended after Winchester lost
its status as England’s capital city and the Black
Death had decimated the population in the mid 14th
century. The mill became derelict by 1417.
King Henry Vlll took the
derelict Eastgate Mill into Crown ownership at the
Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1439 and his
daughter Queen Mary Tudor then gave it to the city
in 1554, partly to offset the cost of her wedding to
Philip of Spain in the nearby cathedral.